Friday, July 8, 2011

Stats: Upper body & Clean/Jerk

We're a little behind in marking our stats here. We've had a great maintenance upper body day early in the week, and an off-routine but ultimately exciting leg day on Wednesday. In spite of re-injuring my lower back on my third dead lift set (with perfect form too--I guess I wasn't all the way healed?), I powered through and did 4 sets of clean & jerk. Luckily the particular movement involved in cleans didn't trigger my back pain, so it felt safe. I think I'm getting the hang of it a little more (which you wouldn't know from my bruised collar bone); I can finally feel why something is wrong if something is wrong. My big problem for months has been feeling like I'm doing the same move each time, but with wildly different consequences. Now I can feel "Oh, I think I jumped too early" or "Hm, need to work on getting my elbows out more." So that's a huge improvement!

I also had a minor "non-scale victory" in the weight-loss/body-confidence department. I walked home after the leg day in our sweltering gym without my shirt on, just my (very conservative) sports bra and shorts. I think this is the first time my belly has seen sunlight since I was toddling. High fives all around!


Upper body day:
(Weigh in: Marmot 161.5lbs; Pancho 136lbs)

Warm ups
: Arm swings, scapular push ups, wall-arm raises } x 20

Dumb bell bench:

Marmot: 65lbs x 15; 70lbs x 12; 70lbs x 8
Pancho: 35lbs x 10; 35lbs x 10; 35lbs x 10

Pull ups:
Marmot: 15; 7; 5
Pancho: 1.5; 1; 1 (all from dead hang)

Dumb bell row:
Marmot: 50lbs x 15; 50lbs x 12; 50lbs x 14
Pancho: 25lbs x 15; 25lbs x 15; 25lbs x 15

Plank:
3 sets @ 60 sec each

2 lap, 2 hand Farmer carry followed by pull ups or hang:

Marmot: 2 sets @ 40lbs carry, 5 pull ups / 6 pull ups
Pancho: 2 sets @ 30lbs carry, 14 sec hang / 5 sec hang

4 lap, 1 hand farmer carry followed by dips:

Marmot: 2 sets @ 40lb carry, 20 dips / 9 dips
Pancho: 2 sets @ 30lb carry, 10 dips / 10 dips

Side plank, transitioning from one side to the other w/o rest:

Marmot: 60 sec left/60 sec right x 2
Pancho: 30 sec left/30 sec right x 1

___________
Leg day:


We didn't remember our notebook, but I think this is accurate:

Warm up: toe-touch squats, spiderman lunge } x 20

Dead lift:
Marmot: 135lbs x 5; 315lbs x 1; 335lbs x 1 (NEW PERSONAL RECORD)
Pancho: 135lbs x 5; 135lbs x 5; 145lbs x 3 (back injury)

Clean & Jerk:
Marmot: 65lbs x 5; 65lbs x 5; 115lbs x 5; 115lbs x 5
Pancho: 65lbs x 5; 65lbs x 5; 65lbs x 5; 75lbs x 2 (failure at jerk); 65lbs x 5

1 comment:

  1. that's so funny about sun on your belly; last night i was watching a show about hiking in iceland, and the woman put on her bikini and walked into one of the hot springs. so i remembered reading something about european women, all of whom wear bikinis NO MATTER WHAT. no matter huge bellies, scars, stretch marks, sags, pooches, pouches, no matter what. no one but no one wears a one piece. so i watched her walk into the hot spring and thought about how it might feel to have that water against my tummy skin. i'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete