Saturday, April 16, 2011

Goals

It's important for me to write out my fitness goals so as to both monitor how I've advanced and to keep sight of where I want to be.  With that in mind it's also important to break down my fitness goals into those things I want to accomplish during the workout, goals after the work out, and various incremental long term goals.

Goals during workouts:
1) My chief intention is to maintain a positive attitude while also being mindful of my limitations.  In other words, I should push myself without hurting myself.

Means of attainment:
1) I think with Pancho's help I can avoid overextending myself while keeping the pressure up. She is a great motivator and helps me safely push myself.

Goals immediately (as much as possible) after a workout:
1) Eat a lot of lean protein (cheaply)
2) Use the foam roller + tennis ball

Means of attainment:
1) Prepare meals ahead of time with Pancho.  We've got this down pretty well.
2) Make sure to take time before going to bed--i.e., stop watching British sci-fi comedies and roll.

Goals in the short term:
Push-ups: 50 without rest---current 40
Wide Arm Pull-ups: 20 without rest---current 17
Squat 1rpm: 1.5x body weight (now at 240lbs)---current 175x7 reps
Deadlift 1rpm: 1.5x body weight (now at 240lbs)---current 230x5 reps
Weighted carry: 2 laps with 55lbs in both hands---current 2 laps with 45lbs
One arm Weighted Carry: alternating 4 laps with 55--current alt 4 laps with 45lbs

Goals in the long term:
Pushups: 100 without rest
Wide Arm Pull-ups: 50 without rest
Squat 1rpm: 2x bodyweight (now at 320lbs)
Deadlift 1rpm: 2x bodyweight (now at 320lbs)
Weighted carry: 2 laps with 75 in both hands
One arm Weighted Carry: alt 4 laps with 75

Qualitatively speaking:

I would like to increase my strength while only increasing lean muscle.  Weight and speed a less of concerns, though at some point I might want to do power training. I like the idea of being able to do hopping push-ups: This looks neat!

Means of attainment:
Overall, I think both the short and long term goals are possible if I avoid injury and keep up my protein  intake.  Pancho recently ordered Starting Strength, which I think will help us with both injury prevention and strength gains.  I think we'll have to be a bit more systematic with the "how much" and "when" of our program beyond the low level periodization that we currently are using.  So long as we're making gains, I think our current method works.  

No comments:

Post a Comment