Thursday, April 14, 2011

Pancho's Training Goals

My strength training goals are oriented towards functional fitness (as opposed to an aesthetically motivated weight loss goal, or intense Strong Man goals). I consider myself relatively functionally fit; I ride my bike to work 9 miles round-trip every day, I can carry heavy groceries home from the store, and if I have to run for an emergency I can sprint without getting winded. Although I can endure anything daily life would regularly require with my current level of fitness, gaining strength beyond basic daily necessity has profound long-term functional health consequences. Studies show that strength training can help prevent Alzheimer's, cardiac disease, diabetes and other chronic health problems. It is good for your heart and lungs, and has huge benefits for long-term bone density.

Though my broad reason for lifting is for long term health, it is motivating to have specific short-term and long-term goals to work towards. My current status, and goals:

  • Current: 4 unassisted close-grip pull ups
  • Soon: 10 unassisted close-grip pull ups
  • Eventually: 10 unassisted wide-grip pull up

  • Current: 20 half-depth push ups in one set
  • Soon: 10 full-depth push ups in one set
  • Eventually: 25 full-depth push ups in one set

  • Current: Dead lift 135lbs 3 times
  • Soon: Dead lift 135lbs 10 times (that is, the bar + 45lb plates on each side)
  • Eventually: Dead lift 210lbs 3 times (that is, 1.5x my current 140lb body weight)

  • Current: Power clean with 20lb bar, inconsistent form
  • Soon: Power clean with 45lb bar, consistent form
  • Eventually: Power clean 95lbs (45lb bar + 25lb plates)

Wish me luck and strength!

1 comment:

  1. ooh, that's such a good idea, pancho. i'm going to put some thought into my own specifics, like you did. xo

    ReplyDelete