Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dead lifts and pull ups

Another mixed routine for us at the gym yesterday. I was very much looking forward to a full-on leg day, since my knee was too irritated Monday to lift safely. Unfortunately, by the time I got to the gym my entire posterior chain on the right side (lower back, glutes, hip adductor, hamstring all the way down to the back of my knee) was irritated to the point of seizing. The only thing I could figure out to cause such a problem is my regular over-the-shoulder bag that I wear on my right shoulder, which I've been loading with more stuff than usual recently. Damn! Time to switch to the (better-balanced, more dorky) backpack.

Anyway, Marmot powered through an immensely impressive leg day (succeeding in the dead lift weight which was such an educational failure Monday), while I worked on my push ups / pull ups. I've expressed frustration before at not being able to break through 4-5 pull ups in one set. While I still have that problem, I tried to max out my total number of reps: that is, do as many sets as I can (even if it's only 2-3 pull ups at a time) until I can't pull myself up anymore. I also experimented with some new, challenging squat techniques for giggles...until my hips rejected the idea.

(Side note: after an extensive session last night with the foam roller and tennis ball, my right side is much improved, if not quite at 100%. More foam roller torture tonight!)

Stats beneath the jump.



Marmot:
Warm up: 15 toe-touch squats, 20 spiderman lunges

Dead lift:

135lbs x 5; 225lbs x 5; 285lbs x 1; 305lbs x 1; 310lbs x 1; 315lbs x 1; 320lbs x (fail)

Squat:
45lbs x 5; 185lbs x 5, 20 jump; 195lbs x 5, 20 jump; 200lbs x 5, 20 jump

Pancho:
Warm up: 15 toe-touch squats, 20 spiderman lunges

Dead lift:
135lbs x 3; 135lbs x 3 (quit, hip/hamstring pain)

Push up / pull ups (1 min rest between):
10 push; 5 push, 3 pull; 7 push, 2 pull; 7 push, 2 pull; 2 pull; 3 pull; 2 pull; [fail]

Front squat: 45lbs x 5

Squat with 25lb plate over head x 5

Olympic bar overhead squat x 4 (no plates, just the bar)

Olympic bar overhead squat x 2

1 comment:

  1. I learn something new with every post -- sometimes it's about approach, sometimes technique, and sometimes attitude.

    and sometimes it's a reminder: oh yeah! foam roller! i haz one! :)

    ReplyDelete