Sunday, May 1, 2011

One Rep Max

Last Friday, April 29, the Marmot and I were feeling bold: time to test our one rep maxes!

Our normal strength training routine calls for 3 sets of multiple reps of an exercise, between 5 and 15 repetitions depending on the regimen. A one rep max is exactly what it sounds like: the maximum amount of weight you can lift one time. We both tested our squat 1RMs, and I tried for a dead lift 1RM. I weigh 140lbs, and the Marmot has recently gained 5lbs, now at 165lbs.

Here is Mr Marmot, squatting a clean 225lbs:



I maxed out at 145lbs (and didn't go quite deep enough):



My dead lift max is 175lbs. My form isn't perfect, I need to keep my upper back and shoulders locked a little tighter which I think would correct the slight upper-back rounding, but 175!!



Neither of us are used to the panic/being-crushed feeling that goes along with such (relative to what we're used to) heavy weights on our backs when squatting, so our form could definitely use some tweaks of improvement. I think we're going to keep using the digital video recorder as a training tool, to check form when vocal cues aren't enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment