Saturday, May 14, 2011

Paleo: Sample Food Day

Daily Breakfast Medley:
This is what I have for breakfast every day. Some days I don't have berries, or I have regular bacon instead of Canadian bacon, or mashed sweet potatoes instead of mashed acorn squash, but this is pretty representative.
 

1 hardboiled egg (boiled en masse a dozen at a time,)
1 nitrate-free/uncured Canadian bacon (cooked en masse the night before, while soup was simmering, put in tupperware for easy morning assembly)
Roasted acorn squash (baked a few nights before) and frozen turnip greens, microwaved
A few blackberries
1 cup coffee
Total time to assemble breakfast: 3 minutes





First Lunch: Leftovers
 Homemade Butter Chicken (murgh makhani), from the night before, microwaved with some frozen turnip greens*, plus an apple

(Curry ingredients: chicken, curry paste, cumin, paprika, chili powder, coconut milk, 1/2 c greek yogurt, butter, vinegar, tomato paste, 4 L tomatoes, cinnamon)

 *I don't particularly love turnip greens, but they're so much cheaper than spinach that my little frugal heart can't say no
















Second Lunch: Catch-as-Catch-Can

The day I remembered to photograph 2nd lunch, I had carrots, 1/2 an avocado, and some tuna salad (tuna, celery, mustard, a bit of olive oil). Other days it'll be 1/2 a chicken breast and a spinach salad with nuts, or whatever I can assemble from the fridge.
















Dinner: Chowder

We generally make 2 large Pots Of Something a week to have enough for leftover lunches, and to have something that takes long enough to cook that while it is simmering I can do some multitask cooking (like boiling eggs, frying bacon, baking squash or chicken breasts, etc). The night I remembered to take a photograph of dinner was Big Pot of Something night, and an experimental one at that: salmon chowder. It was a new recipe; not my favorite, but not bad either. (Ingredients: 1.5lbs of wild salmon, cubed; butter, onion, carrots, celery, broth; 28-oz can crushed tomato; thyme; 1/2 c coconut milk.)

Dessert

On Tuesday night this week, Mr. Marmot and I were feeling like a treat (and on only day two of our food test!).  I remembered this recipe for banana "ice cream" that I'd bookmarked earlier in the week, and thought we'd give it a go. We don't have a dish washer so convincing us to use the food processor is a nigh impossible task, and I was really impatient, so I changed the recipe a bit:
1) Cut up 3-4 bananas into a large freezer-safe container.
2) Mush them to hell with a fork.
3) Mix in 1/3 cup (ish) of coconunt milk into the mushy bananas with said mushing-fork until creamy-smooth
4) Freeze for as long as you can stand (we waited 1/2 hour) and eat. 

I cut up 3 bananas, assuming that would be plenty for leftover treats for the future, but it was so great we ate the whole thing. Delightful!

1 comment:

  1. WHOA!! gorgeous food, and just the right kinds of information you gave, too. i can't wait to do this part of my new life!!

    ReplyDelete